Deadline for Applications: JOB DESCRIPTION:
The Director of Internal Audit is responsible for leading the internal audit function of Sèvis Finansye Fonkoze, S.A. (SFF), so that (1) audit activities fulfill the purposes and responsibilities established in the Audit Department Charter, (2) audit activities comply with best practices as identified in the auditing profession, and (3) resources are efficiently and effectively employed. The Director works closely with all departments and all levels within SFF and with outside agencies, as required. S/he also supervises, reviews, and participates in the training of the internal audit personnel. This position reports to SFF’s Board Audit Committee for strategic direction, reinforcement, and accountability and to the SFF’s Chief Executive Officer for assistance in establishing direction, support, and administrative interface.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Planning & Systems Development
- Update and maintain the Internal Audit Department Charter of SFF.
- Update and maintain the internal audit manual with appropriate files, working papers, checklists, client reports, and audit resources.
- Prepare and develop the annual internal audit work plan according to existing risk profiles.
- Prepare the annual audit schedule for conducting an internal audit or evaluation of all areas of SFF’s operations and its branches, including adequate planning for internal control assessments, development of audit procedures, fieldwork, file review, special assignments, surprise audits, meetings, and report writing.
- Develop department operational budgets, including estimates for staff resources, training, travel, and support of audit work.
- Organizing & Implementing
- Assess, design, develop, and implement internal auditing policies, procedures, and program.
- Oversee and conduct field work according to work plans with department staff.
- Manage, supervise, and review the work of internal audit staff.
- Ensure all operational and other risks are continually reviewed in the course of internal audit work to ensure adherence to professional auditing standards.
- Perform special examinations, procedures, and assignments at the request of the Board or CEO.
- Provide technical and administrative support (e.g., research and guidelines) to the Board Audit Committee, as needed.
- Monitoring, Follow-up, Evaluation, & Reporting
- Monitor previous audit recommendations.
- Provide recommendations to strengthen internal control systems, improve policies and procedures.
- Provide audit reports to management and the Board that documents audit work conducted, in accordance with professional standards of communication.
- Provide quarterly updates to the Board audit committee on the status of audit recommendations and any areas that could be the cause of increasing risk to SFF.
- Submit an annual internal audit department report to the Board that outlines the major accomplishments, issues, and challenges of the department and recommends actions to strengthen audit activity.
- Staff Management
- Plan, recruit, motivate, and manage internal audit department staff, ensuring the efficiency and adequacy of internal audit skills.
- Develop and coordinate with the Training Manager the delivery of departmental training for employees—personal, professional, team development as per Individual Operating Plans (IOPs) to ensure the development of professional skills in the department.
- Motivate team members to ongoing learning and support them to work towards internationally recognized certifications and their IOPs.
- Conduct performance appraisal evaluations for internal audit staff of the department, including setting performance objectives and regular monitoring.
- External Agencies
- Coordinate activities to the extent possible with the external auditors to enhance audit efficiency.
- Coordinate activities with the external agencies as appropriate.
- Holder of a recognized Accounting designation, preferable (CPA);
- Holder of a recognized Auditing designation.Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting; and
- Master of Business Administration or equivalent degree in the field in Accounting and Finance or related field.
- 10 years financial management or auditing experience; at least 4 years in a middle management /supervisory position, preferably in financial institutions. Previous audit experience preferred;
- Extensive audit experience (at least 5 years) with a reputable auditing firm, commercial bank, or microfinance institution;
- Comprehensive knowledge of microfinance institutions and banking;
- Strong knowledge of internal control structures;
- Good understanding of the national legal framework, including taxation of and legal compliance by banking and financial institutions.
- Languages: Excellent written and verbal skills in English, French, and Haitian Creole
- Personal skills and characteristics:
- Understands and agrees with SFF’s mission, goals, core values, and systems;
- Determined personality with initiative and perseverance;
- High personal integrity and honest, principled individual;
- Able to make sound conclusions and relevant recommendations;
- Objective, professional, and able to communicate well both verbally and in writing;
- Capability and willingness to take responsibility; highly developed sense of rectitude;
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to coach and train others;
- Good conflict management skills;
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.);
- Willingness to travel to local provinces for audit, evaluation work, and other assignments
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified and interested parties are invited to submit their resume, cover letter and diploma by email with “Application for Director of Internal Audit” as the subject. Please no phone calls – only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.